Saturday 28 June 2008

Six Flags St Louis and Holiday World

Starting today in St Louis and the city's Six Flag run park.

Papa John's the ride is an Italian themed attraction that takes you through the pizza making process. A nice touch is that at the end of the ride you can purchase the pizza you saw being made; you do have to pay though.

Liking the Taz themed tea cups ride.

A rather unfortunately named attraction at the back of the park. Probably popular with the gay contingent.

The first coaster of the day was Screamin' Eagle, an old school wooden coaster buried right at the back of the park.


and just like Judge Roy Scream at SFOT this ride was a lot of fun and a pretty decent ride especially considering its age. It was built in 1976. It was very re-rideable and most of the group stayed on the ride for the full duration of the hour, a good sign.

After the ERS we ran down to yet another Tony Hawk's ride as being the new ride in the park this would be the one that the public would run to. Fortunately we beat them, unfortunately the ride wasn't all that.

Next up was The Boss, a coaster that people said used to be good but had suffered the ravages of time, unlike the wooden coaster ridden previously.

I wasn't disappointed at all, I loved this ride. Not knowing much about it I was surprised by the start, which I'm not going to spoil here for those that haven't ridden it yet.

The park had just finished building a third wooden coaster rather unfortunately named after Evel Knievel, who had died soon after the ride was announced. However it was just entering its testing phase and wouldn't be running for us today.

Mr Freeze is a similar ride to the one in Six Flags Over Texas. When we got to it was had just gone down. Later Martin had told us he was on the ride when it broke. It didn't get the full launch so he was quite chuffed to have got the rollback. However I made him aware that every ride on this was a rollback. I was more upset about not getting to ride this right now than I was about the Evel Knievel coaster.





The Batman coaster had quite a long queue being the big coaster near to the entrance. We persevered and got the credit even though it was just like every other Batman but at least the queue wasn't as long as the one in Texas.

I'd ridden a Ninja coaster in Six Flags Over Georgia and hated it, so wasn't looking too forward to this either.

Another Heinz sign, somehow I had the impression that it wouldn't be worth the wait.

With our necks getting jolted at this point where the train connects with the lift hill our suspicion of the ride being a piece of crap was justified. I think that of the 100+ coasters being ridden on this trip this was the one that I needed to brace for most.

Close to the Ninja is the River King Mine Train, which I don't remember at all, so can't be that great.

There was an amusing conversation between 2 girls sitting in front of us as the train left the station.

"I'm scared"
"Why?"
"Because I'm Catholic"

Nice paint job but I suspect not done by the guys on the Pimp My Show ride.

Somehow I don't think that statement is true.

Lunch was in the Japan pavilion and was the obligatory burgers and salad. We had some of the senior management join us for a Q&A. Not sure why one of us came dressed as a cheerleader today, we did keep reminding her of that and the costume never reappeared on the trip.


A pano of the Evel Knievel coaster, does look good but it gives us a reason to revisit, although there's no real urgency for me to do so as I've ridden an identical ride in Finland.

Later in the day we took the train ride which goes around the back of this coaster.

After lunch we saw Mr Freeze running again so headed over to ride it. There was quite a queue for it which split to fill both sides of the station, but most of us failed to find the route to the quiet station meaning that some of the group got 2 goes to our one.

A rather peculiar addition to the ride rules. How can someone have fake legs and real feet?


Queuing aside, the ride was just as good as the one in Texas.

The park has a Scooby Doo ride but unlike most this one uses boats. Its actually really good and I recommend riding it if you fancy a break.

Six Flags St Louis was a strange park. It has a decent selection of rides but lacks character, it could be anywhere. This park also had the worst humidity of the trip which didn't help me have a good impression of it.

The arch of St Louis as we head east out over the Mississississippi river (I think that's how it is spelt), our destination Holiday World in Indiana.

Having been here before I could relax a bit. Whenever you hit a park for the first time the focus is on getting around the rides. On subsequent occasions that pressure is off. Being the only park on this trip that I'd been to before I took the opportunity to breath, however the coasters in this park are so good I did still choose to ride everything.

However Raven and Legend could wait for tomorrow, with only a short amount of time left to enjoy the park tonight I spent it on one ride.



The Voyage was an absolutely amazing coaster when I rode it a few years back. It is still very good but a little rougher at the turnaround than I remember. Even with its faults its still way better than most coasters and even better we made sure we got a ride on the last train!

No comments: