Saturday 28 June 2008

Flight to Denver and Lakeside Park

The flight to Denver was fairly straightforward. I chose to fly NWA, an airline that started in the early 80s coming straight out of Compton and making a name for themselves in South Central LA before expanding their empire to most of America.

The drive from the airport was a fixed $46 charge and I'd chosen a hotel in the downtown area of the city so everything that I'd needed was within walking distance.

The city of Denver has two theme parks, Lakeside, a smaller park celebrating it's 100th birthday that friends had rated and Elitch Gardens, the monster big chain park that I'd not heard too much positive news about.

So first up was going to be Lakeside, which I thought would be a nice park to end the day at. A $25 dollar taxi ride from the hotel.

The park has a large wooden coaster called The Cyclone, it was down when I got there but being worked on. The engineers told me they expected to have it up and running later in the evening or failing that tomorrow.

Well it looks like Ace like it, but they also have one of these plaques on Beast in Kings Island and that wasn't good at all so I would reserve judgment until I'd ridden it myself. If I got to that was.

This is wild chipmunk, the park's mouse coaster with a slightly unique look to it. I was already liking that they'd named it after a different rodent.


The ride wasn't too bad, I think I got launched out of my seat just the once though.



As with some other small parks on the trip there was a nice selection of older rides, which would probably not be found at Elitch for being too "unsafe". This egg ride, often seen at traveling fairs being one example.



The park is on the side of a lake (as if you hadn't already guessed that from the name of the park). Having visited Lake Winne in 2006 and loving it at night, I'm certain I was going to enjoy this place too.

The Dragon coaster is the same dragon coaster seen everywhere else. Just another credit, nothing more than that.

An interesting variation on one those spin rides where you control one axis of rotation and can make yourself quite sick on. How romantic would that be?

I had to convince the ride op to let me ride the Kiddie Coaster as they were a bit hesitant to allow me to do so. A quick plead in my British accent seemed to do the trick though. If they kept a count on stupid tourists visiting the park I'm sure they'd be adding one to that today.

A very small rocking tug type ride.

A beautifully maintained and looking whip ride. Quite a few of the rides have a 50s look to them and unlike some parks its probably authentic rather than imitation.

The back end of the main entrance into the park. I'd somehow missed this on the way in, entering instead via a side gate.

A big wheel ride currently incomplete.

The park has a mini train ride that takes visitors around the perimeter of the lake, and as I was killing time on the off chance that the wooden coaster would open, and waiting for the sun to fall, I decided to have a ride. It was talking to the ride op here that he told me that the park don't really have a set closing time, they let the number of people decide. If they want to stay the park stays open. I'm not sure how true that was but its a wonderful way to run a park if it is.

Having concussed myself getting in (I hadn't appreciated the low ceiling height) the train set off and was quite pleasant even if there wasn't too much to see due to overgrown plants blocking the view on the side of the train not facing the lake.

The park from across the lake.

Having got around 3/4 of the circuit the train suddenly came to a stop and remained still for a good 10 minutes.

There had been reports of people on the line and the ride had been stopped whilst the local police force searched for evidence. What a waste of their time, if people want to run in front of a train, let them.

The good news was that when we eventually got back to the station The Cyclone was up and running and clearly a lot of the locals had been waiting for it to open too. A small queue had built up.

Actually, make that quite a long queue, but would it be worth the wait?

Loving the art deco design of the station.

Old school trains with old school seats. Both in great condition, which is a sign that the park care about the maintenance of this ride and what a ride it was.


It was beautiful and for me one of the best coasters on the trip. Yes Voyage is much taller and faster and more powerful but it's a challenge to re-ride. This on the other hand was a joy and if the club had visited this park I'm sure they'd have rated the ride.


With the sun going down I was able to enjoy the park lit up and the evening ambience beside the lake.



The entrance lit up


Some shots from outside the park, where I had a nice chat with one of the park employees. This was a really nice park with a nice selection of rides. The other visitors were for the most part friendly and heavily hispanic. Like me the majority were there to enjoy the park at night.

From there I got a cab ride back which cost me $5 less and the driver went out of the way to show me some of the city landmarks en route. He got a good tip!

No comments: